Alexandria

Alexandria is an inner-city suburb of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Alexandria is located 4 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district and is part of the local government area of the City of Sydney. The postcode is 2015.

The rough boundaries of Alexandria are Botany Road to the east, Gardeners Road to the south, Mitchell Road and Sydney Park to the west, and Henderson Road to the north. It is approximately 2 km south of Central Station.

Alexandria was named after Princess Alexandra, wife of King Edward VII. The name was also used for the surrounding parish. In 1868, the Borough of Alexandria was formed, after separating from Waterloo. The former Alexandria Town Hall is in Garden Street.

By 1943, Alexandria was the largest industrial district in Australia, and known as the \"Birmingham of Australia\", with everything from bricks to aeroplanes manufactured in 550 factories in just 1,000 acres (4.0 km2). The municipality was abolished upon merger into the City of Sydney in 1949, along with Darlington, Erskineville, Newtown, Redfern, Waterloo, Paddington and Glebe.

In 1968 the boundaries were changed again and Alexandria was part of a new municipality, South Sydney Council. South Sydney was brought back into the City of Sydney in 1982 and then became separate again under the City of Sydney Act of 1988. In 2004, Alexandria moved back into the City of Sydney, when the City of Sydney was merged with the City of South Sydney.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria,_NSW
  • Suburb:Alexandria
  • Postcode:2015
Address Suburb Sold Date Bed Bath Car Sale Price
1/145 Belmont Street ALEXANDRIA 10-02-2009 2 1 1 Undisclosed View Property