Kingsford is a mainly residential area, situated directly south of the University of New South Wales, which is in Kensington. Many of the residents are students living in medium and high density housing. A large Australian Army depot lies in the east of Kingsford.
At the centre of Kingsford, on Anzac Parade and Gardeners Road, there is a large roundabout connecting a public transport system to nine possible destinations via a large number of bus services. For this reason, this part of Kingsford is sometimes referred to as ?nine-ways?. Kingsford is less than 5 km from Coogee Beach.
The area was once known as South Kensington. It was named Kingsford to honour Australian aviator Sir Charles Kingsford Smith (1897?1935), as was the nearby Sydney Airport.
Kingsford was undeveloped until a land boom in the 1920s. In the 1940s many Greeks settled in the area, particularly migrants from the island of Castellorizo (or Kastellorizo). Many opened businesses in the area and in 1973 they built the Castellorizian Club on Anzac Parade.
Kingsford was originally intended to be the terminus of the Eastern Suburbs railway line, but as a cost-cutting measure the line was terminated at Bondi Junction in 1979.
|Address||Suburb||Sold Date||Bed||Bath||Car||Sale Price|