Clovelly is a mainly residential suburb on Clovelly Bay. Clovelly Beach is a small beach that sits on the end of the narrow bay. The bay is popular with swimmers. The bay is home to one of the first surf lifesaving clubs in the world, Clovelly Surf Life Saving Club, which was founded in 1906. Clovelly is surrounded by the suburbs of Bronte in the north, Randwick in the west and Coogee in the south.
Originally known as Little Coogee, the name was changed to Clovelly in 1913. When the search for a new name began, Eastbourne, an English seaside town was suggested. The president of the local progress association suggested Clovelly, the name of a local estate owned by Sir John Robertson, which was named for the village of Clovelly on the north Devon coast, England.
William C. Greville bought 20 acres (81,000 m2), which included the whole bay frontage, for 40 pounds in 1834. Early Clovelly houses were modest and built in a simple style. Some survived around Northumberland, Campbell and Boundary Streets near Waverley Cemetery and also further west. Massive subdivision began in 1909 into residential blocks, forming the basis of today's suburb.
The Clovelly tram line began at Alison Road to the intersection of Clovelly and Carrington Roads in 1912, then extending to Clovelly in 1913 helping to popularise the area. This line branched from Anzac Parade at Alison Road, and ran on its own tram reservation beside Centennial Park as far as Darley Road. Here it diverged from services to Coogee, to run north along Darley Road, then turned right into Clovelly Road to run down to its terminus at Clovelly Beach. Though services ran from Circular Quay and from Railway Square (from 1923). the line closed in 1957. The tram line followed the current route of bus 339.
|Address||Suburb||Sold Date||Bed||Bath||Car||Sale Price|