The government began plans for a celebratory park in 1886 and passed an Act of Parliament in the following year. Some of the grandiose plans for the area, such as a museum and a national convention building, never eventuated.
Centennial Park was dedicated by Sir Henry Parkes in January 1888 to celebrate the first 100 years of European settlement in Australia and described by him as 'emphatically the people's park'. The Governor-General, Lord Hopetoun dedicated the park 'to the people of New South Wales forever'.
The land was originally set aside by Governor Lachlan Macquarie for grazing and watering stock. The ponds to the south, known as Lachlan Swamps, were named in his honour and were the chief water supply for Sydney from 1830 to 1880. Water was carried to Hyde Park along a tunnel called Busby's Bore, after its designer John Busby (1765-1857). The tunnel served the needs of Sydney until the Nepean scheme made it redundant in the 1880s. In 1851, it was a scene of a duel between the first Premier of New South Wales, Sturt Donaldson, and the Surveyor-General, Thomas Mitchell. Both men survived to fulfil their duties.
|Address||Suburb||Sold Date||Bed||Bath||Car||Sale Price|
|CENTENNIAL PARK||30-04-2013||1||1||1||Undisclosed||View Property|
|CENTENNIAL PARK||28-11-2008||1||1||0||Undisclosed||View Property|
|CENTENNIAL PARK||29-04-2008||2||1||0||Undisclosed||View Property|
|CENTENNIAL PARK||15-03-2008||2||1||0||Undisclosed||View Property|